I have to admit that I am fairly new to the practice of doing yoga and never bought into its benefits until now. I had tried it in the past but never was committed to practicing on a daily basis and I am still no there yet! As a 6-foot tall woman watching myself in the mirror at the yoga studio was pretty hilarious and a little embarrassing. I decided yoga wasn’t for me and went back to hours of lame cardio and a weekly light weight-lifting routine; which has done nothing for me. After weeks of boredom, Philip asked me if I wanted to attend a weekly yoga class with him; we haven’t made it yet but I have started doing yoga at home.( I am still self-conscience about doing in front of people) Yoga has had a profound effect on my body & mind (insert eye roll here) but it really has and I wish I would have started it early. Below you will find my 5 reasons for practicing yoga and if you practice please share yours in the comment section.
1. Stress Reliever: As a business owner, homeschool mom and a wife to a wild man I need a way to relieve stress and practicing yoga helps.
2. Pain Relief: I have found by stretching and strengthening my core my daily aches and pains are nonexistent. Yoga also helps to improve body alignment resulting in better posture and helping to relieve back, neck, joint and muscle problems.
3. Improved my Flexibility: Yoga helps to improve flexibility and mobility and increased my range of motion which also reduced my body aches and pains.
4. Developed Body Awareness. Yoga requires you to contract or relax specific muscles as you stretch into each pose. This has helped me become more aware of my body’s strengths and weaknesses.
5. Increased Strength: Yoga postures use every muscle in the body, this has literally increased my bodies strength from head to toe.
I have found the most important benefit of a consistent yoga routine isn’t the physical piece; it’s how it has quieted my mind. The bottom line is being present and that has had made all the difference. As I get deeper into my practice I continue to see the mental and spiritual benefits. I encourage you if you haven’t taken the yoga leap to give it a try; you will not be disappointed!