Brain Fog may include symptoms of confusion, forgetfulness, lack of concentration and mental clarity. The harsh reality is that low thyroid function may be promoting brain degeneration. Possible reasons may breakdown include:
- Increased brain inflammation.
- Altered brain chemical function (neurotransmitter activity).
- Promotion of brain autoimmunity.
- Loss of blood-brain barrier integrity (leaky brain)
Brain Fog is a common symptom of Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis it is unavoidable but treatable. Learn how to combat it naturally below.
Improve your Gut Health
If the gut ain’t right, the mind ain’t right! I could go into the science of this but let’s do that in another post.
- Use a probiotic daily. Potent probiotics to repopulate your gut with the good bacteria improves digestion and helps maintain healthy intestinal function for overall support of a healthy immune system.
- Trade your cup of coffee for a cup of bone broth. The substances that are found in bone broth(collagen, proline, glycine, glutamine, calcium, and magnesium) all of which are incredibly important for people fighting autoimmune disorders like Hashimoto’s.
Limit Your Stress
Hypothyroid people compensate for their hypothyroidism by overproducing stress hormones like cortisol. When you overproduce, cortisol it can actually raise your body temperature while suppressing thyroid function at the same time. How can you do this?
- Exercise: daily something as simple as a 30-minute walk can help. Exercise busts stress by pumping up endorphins and improving the mood.
- Meditate: even on a hectic schedule, meditation done for as little as 15-20 minutes a day can help achieve this.
- Essential Oils: certain scents(like Lavender, Vetiver & Frankincense) can help elevate mood, reduce anxiety and promote focus and better concentration. These essential oils may stimulate the limbic system which in turn releases chemicals that promote feelings of calmness, relaxation, and tranquility
A Daily spoonful Of Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil helps regulate blood sugar and stress hormones which suppress thyroid function.
- Protects cell mitochondria against stress and injury, both of which suppress thyroid function.
- Coconut Oil contains fatty acids that can increase your metabolism, raise your basal body temperature and promote weight loss and increase energy.
Too much inflammation in the body can cause the protective blood-brain barrier to be more absorptive, leading to inflammation of the brain. This inflammatory stress in the hypothalamus of the brain is the underlying cause of brain fog.
- Add a daily supplement that improves inflammation
- Drink a cup of Golden Milk
- Add foods to your diet that fight inflammation. Check out this post Naturally, Fight Inflammation with these 10 Foods.
Environmental pollutants and chemicals can place undue stress on the body and its regulatory systems. Start changing your everyday chemically filled products with environmentally friendly ones There are several excellent toxic-free chemicals in the marketplace.
Get Enough Sleep
The hormones in our brains stay in balance when your body gets sufficient sleep every night. Lack of sleep kicks up our cortisol levels which lower our dopamine levels making it difficult for serotonin to do its job. Get enough sleep at night at least seven hours and stick to a reasonable bedtime. Inadequate sleep can interfere with the body’s ability to ward off inflammation which increases brain fog.
***Always check with your doctor before making any major diet or exercise changes or trying new supplements.
***The information on our website is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
This post contains affiliate links. read our full disclosure here.