When Sophie & I joined The Bliss Movement, we knew it was so much BIGGER than us! We knew it went far beyond its two thousand plus members, and we knew our leadership team was a group of people determined to change the world. What we didn’t realize was how quickly that change would happen. The Bliss Movement started just a few short months ago, and we have already saved 586 Lives!
Take the Quiz here.
What is Malaria?
Malaria is caused by a parasite carried by the Anopheles mosquito. Individuals who contract the disease typically get very sick with high fevers, shaking chills, and they can die if they do not receive proper medical treatment. Pregnant women and children under five who have little to no immunity & are more likely to become severely ill and or die. In Uganda, malaria-carrying mosquitoes typically bite between dusk and dawn. A mosquito net hung over a child’s sleeping area can prevent mosquitoes from biting them while they sleep. Going a step further when the nets are treated with an insecticide, it provides greater protection by repelling mosquitoes and killing those that land on it.
Malaria leading cause of death in Uganda
- Children under 5 still represent 78% of global malaria deaths that’s close to 500,000 a year. Around 1,200 a day 50 an hour die of Malaria.
- Children under 5 years of age are one of the most vulnerable to contracting malaria. In Africa, about 285 000 children die before their fifth birthdays.
- The most effective means of preventing malaria is sleeping under a mosquito net.
- A net usually lasts for 3-4 years, and protects, on average, two people.
- Bed nets are a simple, cost-effective solution to keep families safe from malaria-carrying mosquitoes.
How Can You Help?
You can take two minutes out of your day and take a quiz! In those two minutes, you will save a child’s life. I also encourage you to share our link with others so we can hit our goal(Sophie & I) to save 1,000 children by Christmas. Is there a better gift to give a child?
Thank you, in advance for your kindness and willingness to help the children of Uganda.